Skip to main content

Les trams jaunes de Bruxelles (souvenirs de mon enfance)

Dès l'âge de cinq ans et jusqu'en 1996, mes parents et mes frères ont vécu à l'est de la capitale belge. Bien que je ne sois jamais devenu belge, Bruxelles reste ma ville d'adoption.

Bruxelles évoque bien des choses (les gaufres liégeoises, les frites, les chocolats Leonidas, la Grand Place, les Galleries, les autoroutes), mais pour moi, elle rappelle avant tout les tramways jaunes de la STIB.

Les premiers tramways sont apparus à Bruxelles en 1867; à l'époque, ils étaient tractés par des chevaux. L'électrification du réseau a commencé en 1894. Il existait initialement plusieurs compagnies de tramway (BIB, CFE, etc.), mais elles ont fini par fusionner et, en 1914, ont adopté la célèbre livrée jaune primevère.

Deux lignes de tramway, en particulier, sont associées à mes souvenirs d'enfance à Bruxelles: la 39 et la 44.

La ligne 44 remonte à l'Exposition internationale de Bruxelles de 1897. C'est à cette époque que le roi Léopold II de Belgique a fait construire l'avenue de Tervuren, reliant le parc du Cinquantenaire au parc de Tervuren, où se trouvait son Palais des Colonies. Le long de cette nouvelle avenue, il a également fait construire une ligne de tram qui sur son tracé traversait la magnifique forêt de Soignes pour rejoindre le musée. Cette ligne est devenue par la suite la ligne 40, avant d'être renomée ligne 44 en 1968.

La ligne 39 date d'une époque légèrement plus tardive, 1925. Elle emprunte la même avenue de Tervuren mais bifurque à gauche sur la rue Orban (en photo) pour aboutir à la place Dumon, à Stockel. La place Dumon sert de boucle de retournement pour le tram. En 1988, la ligne a été prolongée pour desservir Kraainem et Wezembeek-Oppem jusqu'à Ban Eik. L'arrêt de tram se trouvait à 15 minutes de la maison suivante qu'a occupée notre famille à Bruxelles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 common phrases in English

1. Pleased to meet you. 2. Can I have a coffee please? 3. I wonder if you can tell me where the toilet is. 4. I am looking for carrots. 5. Is this the right stop for the 135 bus? 6. I don't think we have met. My name is Sarah. 7. Sorry, I didn't understand what you just said. 8. Sorry, could you repeat that, please? 9. Is this seat taken? 10. Could you point me in the direction of the post office? 11. Can I get you something to drink?  12. Could you tell me what the time is, please?  13. My name is Sarah and I live in Bury.  14. How much does this cost?  15. Please come in, welcome. 16. This is where you will be staying.  17. If you need it, the toilet is just through there on the left. 17. Do you have a minute? 18. Is this a good time to talk?  19. What would you like to drink?  20. Is this the right place for the job interview? 21. Is there somewhere I can leave my bag?  22. I am here to collect a parcel.  23. Are you ready for your breakfa...

Common phrases in Urdu

1. Mujhay chay chahiye. = I would like some tea 2. Mere tin beTia hay. = I have three daughters 3. Kya hal hai? = How is your health? 4. Aaj gurmi mosum hay. = It is warm weather today 5. Phir melen ge = see you later 6. Aap kaiseh hain? = How are you? 7. Meri madri zubaan angrezi hay. 8. Kya aap ke pas numuck hay? 9. Mere pas numuck nahi hay. 10. Mein school ja raha hun. 11. Aur aap? = What about you?  12. Aap kahan se hain? = Where are you from. 13. Meri mulk Angrezistan hay.  14. Kya app musroof hain? = Are you busy?  15. Aapko naam kya hay? 16. Kya aap cricket kel rahe hain?  17. Mera dost geet geanga.  18. Kya aapko chuvul chahiye? = Do you want rice?  19. Kya ye masjid ka raasta hay?  20. Mein rat ko kam karta hun. = I work at night 

Learning Arabic script in order to read Urdu

Since my last post on this blog possibly over a year ago, I have begun studying another language: Urdu.  On 30 June last year our family moved to Bury, Lancashire, where I now serve as minister of Radcliffe Road Baptist Church . Bury is a Lancashire mill town which is now part of Greater Manchester (Mancehster is about 25 minutes by car or tram). A large proportion of the population of Bury are Urdu/Punjabi speakers. I am keen to reach out to them, and have been learning their language with the help of my neighbour and also at least one another acquaintance I have made.  Urdu, as well as its sister language, Hindi, is part of the large Indo-European language family, and is therefore related to English and other more familiar languages such as German and French. For example the numbers (in Urdu: eek, do, teen) are recognisably similar, and there are many common words such as "naam" (name). Having said that, Urdu is quite challenging to learn, especially now that I am far older...