Skip to main content

Ma biographie en francais

Je m'appelle Russell Phillips. J'ai 52 ans et je suis d'origine britannique. En 1979, mes parents se sont installés à Bruxelles, où j'ai passé toute mon enfance jusqu'à l'âge de 18 ans: à Woluwe-St-Pierre puis à Wezembeek. J'ai fréquenté l'École européenne, où j'ai fait mon bacc en 1992.

Après mes études secondaires en Belgique, j'ai fait une année de service volontaire en Allemagne, puis je suis allé à l'université en Angleterre pour y étudier l'allemand et le russe. L'annee 1995/6 j'ai passe en Siberie pour pratiquer la langue. C'est là que j'ai rencontré ma femme, Oxana.

Apres avoir terminé mon premier cycle universitaire, j'ai fait un master en traduction en Écosse, a Edimbourg. Apres l'université, j'ai travaillé comme traducteur indépendant, puis comme employé d'église. En 1998, Oxana m'a rejoint en Ecosse, et nous nous sommes mariés en 1999. En 2000, Oxana a commencé un programme de formation pour comptables, et moi j'ai commencé des études théologiques, tous les deux a Edimbourg.

Notre fille aînée est née à Édimbourg en 2004; par la suite, nous sommes retournés en Sibérie pour y mener un travail chrétien auprès des étudiants et de l'église locale. Notre deuxième fille est née en 2007 en Siberie, est sa soeur a rejoint notre famille en 2008.

Au total, nous avons passé 15 ans en Sibérie. Durant cette période, nous avons habité à quatre adresses différentes. La dernière était une maison magnifique que nous avions construite nous-mêmes en périphérie de la ville, près d'une forêt et du fleuve Ob.

Nous sommes rentrés de Sibérie en 2019-2020 et, après quelques mois à Édimbourg, nous nous sommes installés à Bury, près de Manchester, où j'exerce le ministère de pasteur dans une église baptiste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 common phrases in English

1. Pleased to meet you. 2. Can I have a coffee please? 3. I wonder if you can tell me where the toilet is. 4. I am looking for carrots. 5. Is this the right stop for the 135 bus? 6. I don't think we have met. My name is Sarah. 7. Sorry, I didn't understand what you just said. 8. Sorry, could you repeat that, please? 9. Is this seat taken? 10. Could you point me in the direction of the post office? 11. Can I get you something to drink?  12. Could you tell me what the time is, please?  13. My name is Sarah and I live in Bury.  14. How much does this cost?  15. Please come in, welcome. 16. This is where you will be staying.  17. If you need it, the toilet is just through there on the left. 17. Do you have a minute? 18. Is this a good time to talk?  19. What would you like to drink?  20. Is this the right place for the job interview? 21. Is there somewhere I can leave my bag?  22. I am here to collect a parcel.  23. Are you ready for your breakfa...

Common phrases in Urdu

1. Mujhay chay chahiye. = I would like some tea 2. Mere tin beTia hay. = I have three daughters 3. Kya hal hai? = How is your health? 4. Aaj gurmi mosum hay. = It is warm weather today 5. Phir melen ge = see you later 6. Aap kaiseh hain? = How are you? 7. Meri madri zubaan angrezi hay. 8. Kya aap ke pas numuck hay? 9. Mere pas numuck nahi hay. 10. Mein school ja raha hun. 11. Aur aap? = What about you?  12. Aap kahan se hain? = Where are you from. 13. Meri mulk Angrezistan hay.  14. Kya app musroof hain? = Are you busy?  15. Aapko naam kya hay? 16. Kya aap cricket kel rahe hain?  17. Mera dost geet geanga.  18. Kya aapko chuvul chahiye? = Do you want rice?  19. Kya ye masjid ka raasta hay?  20. Mein rat ko kam karta hun. = I work at night 

Translator's toolbox (post on the constituent elements of translating)

  I have worked as a translator on and off since completing my masters in 1998.  After an extended period during which my translation work was very part-time, in October 2019 I returned to full-time freelance translating work. For the most part my work involves being sent Word files in a foreign language which I 'overtype' (i.e. replace the foreign language text with my English translation). My languages are German, Italian, Russian and French. My areas of expertise include semi-technical legal texts (such as contracts or court rulings) and texts related to detergents (such as patents or reports), as well as all sorts of commercial texts, advertising anything from spas to interfaces for paid parking. One of my niche jobs is translating coding-relating texts for a major social media company.  As I reflect on my work (and try to improve how I do it), I thought it would be useful to break the process of translating down into the constituent activities it involves. Hopef...